I know I tend to ramble, so let me at least some up this post in one sentence: Skinnytaste’s Southwestern Black Bean Salad is freaking delicious. I’ll admit that I kind of fudged this recipe up a bit and yet, as I sit here typing this, I’m already on my third bowl (shhh). It’s really not complicated, but I can screw up anything if I put my mind to it. 😉 Here’s where I went wrong:
1) First of all, I was so excited to come home and make this because I just KNEW I had all of these ingredients already. You all know how much I hate having to run out and get items before making something—either I have everything or we’re making something else entirely. After opening my can of beans and heating up the grill for my corn, I realized I was missing not one but four ingredients (cilantro, lime, scallions and jalapeños). I was livid. For the first time ever, I actually ran out on the spot to get stuff because I was so determined to try this recipe today.
2) I had my groceries delivered for the first time ever this weekend—my laziness knows no bounds—so I already had the avocados for the salad. Of course, they weren’t quite ripe yet. This was annoying not only for preparation when my hands were about to fall off from all the chopping but also for the salad itself which would’ve been immaculate with perfectly ripe avocados. Wamp wamp waaamp.
3) My fresh-out-of-the-garden roma tomatoes which I was so excited to bite into today were super mushy. The kid couldn’t catch a break! I still used a couple, but decided to throw in my grape tomatoes as well for a better overall texture.
4) And for the grand finale … I didn’t measure anything. I originally found this recipe from a Facebook video and silly me didn’t realize there was a link with the written recipe attached to the video recipe. Basically I just eyeballed everything. Sigh. I would blame my preggers brain, but I’m pretty sure that this is just my everyday brain.
Anywho, despite all of these mini disasters, the salad was surprisingly wonderful and will definitely go into my weekly rotation. Next time I’ll make sure I have all of the ingredients and they’re all up to par. I highly recommend this little dish if you’re looking for something fairly quick, crazy yummy and really good for you.
Skinnytaste’s Southwestern Black Bean Salad
- 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 9 oz cooked corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 ½ – 2 limes, juice of
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh minced cilantro (or more to taste)
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1 medium hass avocado, diced
- 1 diced jalapeno (optional)
In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Squeeze fresh lime juice to taste and stir in olive oil. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes. Add avocado just before serving.
Makes about 6 ½ cups.